Sunday, March 25, 2007

Hissa

I hate the legal system in India. I would like to think that I am very informed and know what the other countries’ legal systems are like. I hate policemen. I think all they want is their ‘hissa’… their ‘share’

I have a PAN card, a license (that was taken by the actual 3-day long process, involving a driving-test) and I have a two-wheeler (with all of its necessary papers in place) and I always wear a helmet while driving.

But the other day something strange happened. At a crowded traffic signal, I was stopped by a cop (not a traffic-cop). Some ‘important people’ were going to pass by that road in some time. I stopped as I knew there wasn’t any harm. He asked for the bike papers which I showed it to him. He demanded a pollution-check document (which you update every 12 months). Luckily for me I even had that in place. But I don’t know what went wrong with me; I held it back and told the cop I didn’t have it.

200 rupaye ka fine bharna hoga’. He said heartlessly.
Itna paisa to nahi hai mere paas’. I replied, trying to read his expression.
To theek hai… (thinking) jo bhi hai de do… 40-50... receipt nahi milega par

I took out my wallet and handed him a 50 rupee note… and a 100 rupee note and then another one… and said, ‘Receipt nahi chahiye…

I could see he wanted to say ‘thank you’. As he pocketed the money, I moved away.

I hate policemen. I think all they want is their ‘hissa’… their ‘share’.

P.S: All salaries are as per Maharashtra state

Police constable – Rs.6k to 8k (Annual increment - Rs.75) (After about 15 years of service)
Senior constable – Rs.8.5k to 10k (Increment – Rs.100)
Police hawaldar – Rs.10.2k to 12k (Increment - Rs.100)
Police sub-inspector – Rs.15k – 16k (Increment - Rs.175)

And the salary that an average private sector employee (like me) draws after 3 years of service is as much as the Assistant Police commissioner’s; with an annual increment at least 20 times that of his annual increment.

2 comments:

neha said...

corruption justified in its own way!

prasad said...

i think its true ....
hissa ..share ...kisise nahi cheenana chahiye...hahahah